Portsea is on the very southern tip of the peninsula. Located on a thin strip, just two kilometres wide, Portsea fronts both the settled bay waters of Port Phillip and the active ocean beaches on Bass Strait. Point Nepean National Park provides a beautiful landscape for the area. The major landmark in the town centre is the Portsea Hotel which was built in 1876 and includes indoor and outdoor dining and entertaining areas which extend down to the foreshore and overlook the beach and pier. At the western edge of Portsea, and extending right to the tip of the land, is the Point Nepean National Park which features relics, Aboriginal settlements and past military fortifications. A quarantine station was built there in 1852 to protect Victoria against disease from people arriving by boat.